Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Inferencing with Goldilocks and Graphing

Hi friends! Oh, how I have missed you all! I have been so busy with lesson planning, grading, annd, well…you all get the picture right?! It has just been full on back to school mode around here. Anywho, I am back, and super excited to share what we have been working on this week with you all.

This week’s skill in our Journey’s reading book is inferencing. This is by far one of my absolute most favorite things to teach to my kiddos. Seriously, how fun is it to become a detective for the week!?! Favorite! Ok, so you all know Cara right?! I mean, I don’t even think I have to say a last name for us bloggers to know who I am talking about here. She is just too amazing with all her unique and cute lessons. I.ADORE.HER! When I was stalking her blog (yes, I stalk her blog), I came across her adorable inferencing activity with David. I wanted to do that activity so stinkin’ bad, but sad news was….we already did David during our David Shannon author study earlier. Yep, I was so bummed. I love our Journey’s adoption, but I still love to incorporate any literature I can into our reading time. So, after thinking of another story to use, I decided to go with Goldilocks and The Three Bears. This is always a goodie. We started off with our inferencing chart to get our minds thinking about what inferencing is. Our schema + evidence = inferencing!!

Inference Chart (1 of 1) Inference Goldilocks (1 of 1)

During our reading, we stopped to talk about things that Goldilocks was doing, and inferenced why she was doing these things based on our schema and clues from the story.

Inference Goldilocks Chart 1 (1 of 1)

They were coming up with inferences so fast, I could barely keep up! {Hence the not so fancy handwriting}.

The kiddos completed this response sheet. {inspired by Cara}.  

Inference Goldilocks Response (1 of 1)

Click {here} to get it!

And they created this adorable Goldilocks craftivity.

 Inference Goldilocks Craftivity (1 of 1)

Inference Goldilocks Craftivity 1 (1 of 1)

Click {here} to get the craftivity and response sheet!

We have also been working on graphing this week. Yesterday we discussed parts of a picture graph.

Graph Shoes (1 of 1)

The kiddos were hilarious when I asked them to take off one shoe for this activity. I love how the simple things can really get them engaged in a lesson.

Clipart from Krista Wallden (TPT)

Graph Shoes Data (1 of 1) 

I am off to cuddle with little Rapunzel and watch Dolphin Tale (this is her favorite movie for the moment).

3 comments:

  1. How adorable is this?!? I love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be totally missing something because I cannot find the response sheet. Could you please help?

    ReplyDelete