Friday, April 26, 2013

This weeks do..and some FREEBIES!

This is how I feel about today being Friday!!
FridayImage 
{image from Google}
2 days of administering the STAAR test would do this fancy lil’ number on anyone’s do!! I swear mine looked just like that!
This week we have been learning about suffixes ed and ing. Monday, I shared our little Sunny Suffixes {freebie} with you all that the kiddos just adored. One of my little babies said we should make our suns old and young for ed and ing! Brilliant idea! Since yesterday was my first day back in the room, I really needed to see if my kiddos had the skills down for adding –ed and –ing to words. For our assessment activity I gave each kiddos 12 words. They could pick any 6 words to add –ed too, and any 6 to add –ing too, BUT they had to show me the rule if it needed a letter dropped or doubled. {major run on sentence}!!!!
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-9 SmittenWithFirst_F4F-10
Click {here} to get the words for this activity!
We have also been working very hard on some double addition and subtraction! My kiddos are math whizzes I tell ya’! Here’s a little peek at what we have been up to in math!
Each kiddo got double digit cards with the answers given. They had to problem solve to see if the numbers needed to be added or subtracted to get that answer. I loved seeing their little brains going crazy!! They ate this up!
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-3
Afterwards, they sorted their cards in the appropriate pouch!
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-2
Here is another favorite activity from the week…Sort it Out! The kiddos had to find the sum for each letter card. After finding the sum, they had to write if the sum was odd or even.
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-1 copy
Click {here} to download Sort it Out!
To wrap it all up, I gave each kiddo an addend and a sum…they had to find the missing addend and create a double dipped ice cream cone!
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-5 SmittenWithFirst_F4F-4
Next week we will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo….not because it’s the hubby and I anniversary or anything :) …but because it is a super fun National Holiday!!! Here are a few things I have in the works for next week.

{Facts about Cinco de Mayo…chips and salsa style} 
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-1-2
….and a {Beginning, Middle, End Piñata book report}
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-11 
Toes and fingers crossed that I will have my Cinco de Mayo Fun packet complete this weekend and uploaded to TPT.
But until then…I leave you with my latest color and fashion obsession…mint, blue, and knots!!! Swoon me!
SmittenWithFirst_F4F-8

I’m linking up today with Doodle Bugs for her Five for Friday!!
fiveforfriday_thumb[2]

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the freebies! We need a lot more practice with double digit addition!

    I feel the same way about this week! We were trapped in our classroom all week long due to the weather and our third graders taking the STAAR test (their classroom is currently in the cafeteria).

    Happy Weekend!

    The Frizz

    The Frizz in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the math display! We just started double digit addition in first grade!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hats are cute! Quite a few years ago I did a skit with my first graders about the many hats moms wear - your project brought it all back to me!

    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Cinco de Mayo Activities! I can't believe that will be coming up this week already. I really like the Mexican flag!

    Enjoy the weekend,
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I love the double-digit addition and subtraction ideas. Would you be willing to share your double digit sort activity? I think my kids would love that!

    Happy Spring!
    Deb
    lovejunk@fnmmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a little girl I had a poster of that cat hanging in my room. :) So, I love that! Also, I am obsessed with your double digit activities! I will be incorporating that into my plans!!

    Jessica

    Fluttering In First

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.my.word. Right there with you. I gave the STAAR both days also...I was SOOO ready to be back in my room. Loving your -ed and -ing activity. Thanks for sharing!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Ideas! If you're willing to share the sorting activity in the pockets that would be great. Thank you and have a great summer!

    Lori
    Little Priorities
    lmoldenhauer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love a copy of the activity where the students have to see if the numbers need to be added or subtracted and then sort.

    Brittany
    brittany.bodiford@ocps.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I would love the addition and subtraction sort too!!! Love your activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in my Addition and Subtraction Fun pack!

      Delete