Friday, September 18, 2015

Character Traits

This week, in reading, we worked on character traits

We started off with our basal story, The Storm. Our district uses Journey's for our basal. Before reading, we listed all the outside traits that we could see on the character. Then, after we read, we added inside traits. 

Once we had a hang of things, we played Sticky Traits. I used two different colored sticky notes for the kiddos to give me words/traits that described the outside and inside of me. 


Pink sticky notes = outside traits
Purple sticky notes = inside traits

Then, I gave each table group two different sticky notes for them to write the character traits of one person in their table groups. Unfortunately I cannot post those pictures. I do suggest telling the kiddos how many inside and outside traits you want them to do before letting them start. My kiddos LOVED this activity. Hands on, engaging, and very interactive! 

Today, we read David Goes to School by David Shannon. We did a directed drawing of David and sorted his traits by inside and outside traits. 

You can find the directed drawing and the sorting traits for David here. 


If you are looking for other character trait activities, you can find those here in my Tying Up Comprehension Character Traits unit.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea! What a great visual to show them the difference between traits. Will definitely steal this one! :)

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete